Reviewpad Summarize: GPT-4 for Pull Requests
Introducing Reviewpad Summarize - an AI feature that summarizes changes on GitHub Pull Requests (and Issues) making code review more efficient and enjoyable.
At Reviewpad, we understand how precious time is for developers.
That's why we're excited to introduce
Reviewpad Summarize, our new tool designed to help you save time while improving the quality of your code and fostering collaboration.
Reviewpad Summarize, you can have a clear and comprehensive overview of the changes made in a pull request. It provides an easy-to-understand summary of code changes, highlighting the key modifications that require your attention, updated with every push. This way, you can focus on the critical aspects of the code and get your reviews done quickly and efficiently.
Reviewpad Summarize is not just any summarization tool.
It's an innovative approach to summarization that combines multiple summaries to generate a more comprehensive overview of the changes made in a pull request. Our research shows that this results in a higher quality summary, which allows for better communication among developers.
How to Use
Reviewpad Summarize feature can be triggered either by writing a comment in the pull request or by defining a workflow in the
Reviewpad Summarize via Pull Request Comment
/reviewpad summarizein a pull request.
- Reviewpad will automatically generate a summary of the pull request and add it as a comment in the pull request thread.
Source: gitpod-io/gitpod: [dashboard] handle context resolution errors #17159 ↗︎
Reviewpad Summarize via
Step 1. Add the following workflow to the
reviewpad.yml congiguration file
1workflows:2 # This workflow calls Reviewpad AI agent to summarize the pull request.3 - name: summarize4 # Summarize the pull requests when they are opened or updated.5 if: $eventType() == "opened" || $eventType() == "synchronize"6 then: $summarize()
Reviewpad Summarize will now run on every Pull Request
When a new pull request is created or updated, Reviewpad will automatically generate a summary and add it as a comment in the pull request thread.
Source: pokt-network/pocket: Adding transactions via transaction indexer #660 ↗︎
This workflow is included in the default
reviewpad.yml proposed after installing Reviewpad. You can check it here ↗︎.
Reviewpad Summarize documentation here ↗︎.
Now that you know how to use
Reviewpad Summarize, let's look at the benefits it offers:
- Quick Reviews, More Time: Complete your pull requests more quickly so that you can dedicate the additional time to other essential tasks.
- Easy-to-See Changes: Summarize code changes easily and clearly, helping you to understand the pull request at a glance.
- Great Teamwork: Picture your developer team working together smoothly, sharing ideas, and celebrating their success.
- Better Code Quality: Catch problems early, improve code, and make customers happy – that's the goal!
Reviewpad Summarize vs GitHub Co-pilot for PRs
Finally, what sets
Reviewpad Summarize apart from GitHub Co-pilot for PRs?
- Immediate Access : Start using
Reviewpad Summarizewithout any waitlist constraints.
- Innovative Approach: Our distinctive summarization method offers enhanced results, as we found that combining multiple summaries generates a more comprehensive overview.
- Real-time Updates: In contrast to GitHub Co-pilot for PRs,
Reviewpad Summarizecontinuously updates summaries with new push information and even emphasizes changes made since the previous push (e.g. https://github.com/reviewpad/reviewpad/pull/810#issuecomment-1493041723 ↗︎.) Source: gitpod-io/gitpod: feat: popular collections #5654 ↗︎
Wait, there's more!
Reviewpad Summarize also works on GitHub Issues.
Just add the following code to the
workflows section of
1 # Runs Reviewpad Summarize on open GitHub Issues2 - name: summarize-issue3 on:4 - issue5 # Summarize the issue when it is opened.6 if: $eventType() == "opened"7 then: $summarize()
So, there you have it -
Reviewpad Summarize is here to revolutionize your code review experience.
We hope that by providing an easy-to-use code review tool, we can help you collaborate more efficiently, catch issues early, and make code review a more positive experience.